Pumpkins, squash, ornamental gourds, and summer and winter gourds are members of the same gourd family that Columbus is believed to have brought to Europe from America. There, the Indians traditionally used it to survive the winter because it is a very easily digestible food with excellent nutritional composition and many medicinal properties. She was so prized that the Indians buried her with the dead because she was a symbol of food on their last journey!
They are easily stored in a cool and dry place over the winter and are extremely useful due to their durability and ability to grow in a wide variety of conditions.
Pumpkin can help you with the following healing properties:
– excellent for constipation, inflammation of the colon and generally suitable for people with weak stomachs due to excellent digestibility
– is considered an excellent aid in the treatment of the bladder, kidneys and prostate – in addition to soothing inflammation, prevents further disorders of the urinary organs, and for the prostate is especially recommended even in the initial stages of carcinogenic changes
– new research tends to conclude that pumpkin, in addition to nourishing and nourishing the skin, also protects against skin cancer
– since it is a good diuretic, it is especially recommended for arthritis and gout
– especially the richness of beta carotene in pumpkin has a strong effect on immunity and prevention of tumour development
In addition to all the medicinal properties, it is important to emphasize that pumpkin is rich in vitamins C, E, K, B1, B2, B3, B6, as well as calcium, potassium, phosphorus and iron.
This is one of the reasons why it is considered one of the best substitutes for lower quality carbohydrates.
When creating a diet plan for weight loss or a focus on a healthy diet, it is very important to find a substitute for low-quality substances that we take in (fast food, processed sugars in sweets, etc.), and foods like pumpkin help us significantly.
From pumpkin you can make various soups and stews, salads, you can nibble pits, make compotes… The possibilities are almost impossible to enumerate 🙂
One of the most important facts that will interest many is that it contains only 26 calories per 100 g!
If that doesn’t motivate you to replace some unhealthy foods with pumpkin, we don’t know what they will 🙂
Pumpkin is one of the most widespread crops in our area, as evidenced by a fairly large base of traceable pumpkin producers on VeeMee.hr. Many of them also have medals from the excellent international exhibition of pumpkin oil Alpe Adria, which is held every year!
For a list of manufacturers click on this link: https://veemee.hr/proizvodac/?fwp_pretraga=buča
If you live in Zagreb or Varaždin County, you are very lucky because one of the many producers is probably minutes away from you!
Do you think you know what you’re eating? Take a look at our database for reliable and proven manufacturers! 🙂
Till next time,
Your VeeMee advisor